In the absence of a blog, here are my reflections on the process of creating this
electronic portfolio. In reality, this is the thirteenth tool I have used to
publish my e-portfolio on the Web. The first version of my new e-portfolio was
published using a portfolio system developed by the Maricopa Community Colleges.
These are some of the comments that I write in the blogging tool that is included
in the Maricopa system:
I spent an evening going through my web
pages and my hard drive (my
digital archive) to select the specific artifacts that I wanted to use
in my portfolio. I set up an Excel spreadsheet that let me list the
artifacts (21 in all) and then create hyperlinks to each URL.
After creating the list with the URLs, I added comments in Excel to
represent the captions for each artifact. I played around with
converting the document into HTML, but spent too much time fighting the
Microsoft style sheet codes. So I just converted the document into PDF,
which I will use on the WWW. I uploaded the Excel spreadsheet to this
portfolio as a document, but I might prefer using the PDF.
After selecting the artifacts, I tried to identify which competencies
or skills each artifact demonstrates. I found five or six major
categories right now, maybe more when I think about it. But the major
categories have emerged. Now, all I have to do it create a collection
for each grouping, and write an overall reflection plus record the
captions. Since I had all of the artifacts on one of my websites, all I
had to do was capture the URL.
From start to finish this project has taken me an evening, and most of the
time was spent in selecting the artifacts and writing the captions. Those
aren't really technology issues...they are portfolio issues.