- becoming aware of skills which can be developed through
e-portfolio creation and use (focusing mostly on technical
ones in this session);
- analyzing the scope of media, tools and
services which can be used for e-portfolio creation;
out how to evidence different competences with the help of
artifacts (tech. aspects).
After this session the participant will:
* recognize the scope of media, tools and services available for creating the
* have a basic knowledge of how certain tools and services work, including social
* understand the opportunities given by different media and tools;
* recognize ICT skills necessary to develop digital artifacts;
* be able to pick from the set of media the solutions which are suitable for
documenting one's own specific achievements in an ePortfolio, as well as creating
it as a whole;
* be able to assist student with his/her media choice;
* have the basic skills in using specific online ePortfolio tools, Mahara being
Starting this session the participant should have prepared
certain materials for presentation
In Foundation Module you could examine Sample ePortfolios created
in different media. Each of these examples consist of digital artifacts
created by different tools. Such tools can be very complex and may
require a high level of proficiency in dealing with media. You will
find out if what is proposed here is sufficient for your ePortfolio.
software or professional solutions can help you enhance
your ePortfolio and demonstrate your unique skills. There are many
possibilities to develop digital artifiacts - and several possible
formats, e.g. video, images, text, documents.
What can you do already?
* Think of the tools you already use and list them down in your blog or notebook.
* Think of which skills and competencies they can help to demonstrate?
* Why do you use these specific tools?
* What are their advantages and disadvatages?
* What else would you need?
If you have a digital camera (e.g. in your mobile) you can
go out to take some pictures of a subject suggested below.
Select 3-5 examples, which in your opinion represent your concept
at the best. Download it to your computer (cable, bluetooth,
infrared) or directly to your ePortfolio. You can also store
it on the Internet on a photo-sharing site (more about sharing
below). Justify your choice by typing a short commentary on
Record your commentary by using free sound editing software,
such as Audacity ( http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ 1). You
will have to download this tool.
Opportunities of your software
Log in to the Mahara account (or your tool of choice), if
you have one. See what are the technical affordances of that
tool in respect to:
* classifying and describing
the artefacts you posess
Possibilities of Web 2.0
Everyone using the internet will have heard
of the term "Web 2.0",
or used a Web 2.0 site. Whether or not you like the term, Web 2.0 gives
you more opportunities to develop your ePortfolio.
Examples of Web 2.0 sites are:
* Flickr - photos (and other graphics) sharing site
* YouTube - videos sharing site
* TeacherTube - educational videos sharing site
* 43 Things - sharing goals and plans with others
* del.icio.us - a bookmark sharing site
Like it or not, name it differently, it gives you more opportunities
to develop your ePortfolio . What is the added-value of sharing?
Why people want to do that?
Would you like to learn more about Web
2.0 in teaching? Read
by Bryan Alexander or search for examples of how
software is used for educational purposes. Do you know
these particular solutions which can be used to create your
ePortfolio - wiki , blog , Google
Docs & Spreadsheets .
Learn more about possibilities given by those tools:
* Basic ideas on how to use wiki in education ( 2 )
* Edublogs.org - Many blogs devoted to educational issues ( 3 )
* 10 ideas on how to use blog for education ( 4 )
* Blog entry on using Google D&S in education ( 5 )
* Example of large educational project conducted through Google D&S ( 6 )
Reflect this session within your e-portfolio
* What was the most difficult part of the task above?
* Why was that? What did you learn?
* What additional skills you need to enhance (if any) in your ePortfolio?
* What skills you can and share with others?