REAL* ePortfolio Academy for K-12 teachers,
Individual Teacher Professional Development
There is a need to provide this information to educators around the world, using a variety of tools and strategies. Right now the Academy will offer four levels of individual professional development:
- Self-paced and Collaborative: a website with course content and readings, which will be free, plus a collaborative group for dialogue throughout the year*
- Facilitated courses: take a structured course, facilitated by Dr. Helen Barrett (requires a course fee - see below)
- Webinars: distance-delivered workshops and planning committee meetings are also available to be delivered via the Internet to schools for a fee (One hour included with 3-credit Google Apps registration)
- Face-to-face workshops: one- or two-day face-to-face workshop with Dr. Barrett for school or district. (for daily fee + travel expenses -- includes course fees for planning committee)
The self-paced website will be available to anyone immediately. The sign-in to the Facilitated Course will be provided upon payment of the course fee.
*Google Group set up to facilitate general Academy discussion: http://groups.google.com/group/eportfolioacademy
To request invitation, go to http://groups.google.com/group/eportfolioacademy/subscribe?note=1
Introduction to Electronic Portfolios in K-12 Education
This class will provide an overview of student-centered electronic learning portfolios that also support classroom-based formative Assessment FOR Learning. Emphasis will be on how teachers can support students of all ages to use desktop, laptop, or mobile devices, focusing on (mostly free) Web 2.0 tools, to: Capture & Store Digital Evidence; Reflect on Learning; Give & Receive Feedback; Plan & Set Goals; Collaborate; Showcase Selected Work; and Evaluate Online Portfolios. (This is a generic course, with no specific tools or grade levels, although part of the process is to provide an overview of the different purposes and tools available, with an emphasis on collection, reflection, and direction/goal-setting). A major product of this course is a team developed plan for implementing electronic portfolios in K-12 education.
Six lessons (60 hours).
- Facilitated Course Fee: $100 (includes 20 minute private Skype or Google Voice conversation about implementation plan)
Register through PayPal
- Course content website: https://sites.google.com/site/k12eportfolios/
Supplemental Focus in Introduction course:
This class will provide an opportunity to implement electronic portfolios in the classroom, gather data about student collection, reflection , goal-setting, and showcasing their work in online portfolios. Share strategies for using reflection to support student learning, both “capturing the moment” during the learning process and retrospectively as a culminating activity. Determine success criteria for electronic portfolio implementation.
Implement Electronic Portfolios with K-12 Students using Google Apps
Participants may choose to focus on the use of GoogleApps for Education. This focus is for teachers who have already decided to adopt GoogleApps for Education. The content of this module includes the content of the Introduction course, with additional in-depth focus on using GoogleDocs, Google Sites, Blogger, YouTube, Picasa, Digication, Teacher Dashboard.
Implement Electronic Portfolios with K-12 Students using WordPress/Edublogs
Participants may choose to focus on the use of WordPress or Edublogs.
Implement Electronic Portfolios with K-12 Students using Mobile Devices
Participants may choose to focus on the use of iOS or Android Mobile Devices.
Implement Electronic Portfolios with K-12 Students using Mahara
Participants may choose to focus on the use of the open source Mahara ePortfolio tool.
Create Your Professional Portfolio using Web 2.0 tools
This option is offered as an alternative final assignment in the Introduction course, with participants creating a Professional Portfolio with choice of tools. Feedback will be provided on content and structure of portfolio.